20th March, 2020
From: THE COLLEGE ADMINISTRATOR
To: ALL STAFF, PARENTS AND STUDENTS
Subject: CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) PANDEMIC
Dear Staff, Parents and Students,
COVID- 19 PANDEMIC
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the Coronavirus (COVID-19) a pandemic, following the unprecedented spread across the world and sad deaths occasioned by the virus. We pray that God will grant eternal rest to the souls of those who have died as well as protect and keep the living safe. Amen.
- The reality of this pandemic reminds us of some historical plagues: the Antonine Plague of 165AD which took about five million lives, the plague of Justinian (541), the Black Death (1347) which reportly took over 200 million lives, the Great Plague of London (1665), the Small Pox that was endemic to Europe (1796) and the Cholera miasma (1858).
- Others include the Flu Pandemic (1889-1890), The Asian Flu (1956-1958), the HIV/AIDS Pandemic (2005-2012), inter alia.
- While other countries of the world have for some time experienced the devastating impact of the deadly virus, we in Nigeria have only recently felt it with the State and Federal Governments confirming new cases across different states, including Lagos.
CLOSURE OF SCHOOLS
- In an effort to contain the spread of the virus and ensure the safety of lives, the Lagos State Government has announced the indefinite closure of all private and public schools effective Monday, 23rd March, 2020.
- In compliance with this injunction and with the clear instructions from the Directorate of Education of the Archdiocese of Lagos, our College shall observe the compulsory hiatus as from Friday, 20th March, 2020. Parents/Guardians are to pick up their children/wards (JSS1-SSS3) from school.
- We shall inform all staff and parents of the reopening of school as soon as we are out of the woods.
STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC WORK FROM HOME
- While we take this step, we shall ensure that our students do not miss out on their academic formation during this period.
- As a result, the College Management in conjunction with our teachers shall reach out to our students on weekly basis with lesson notes, research topics and other materials which shall be needed during this period. This will be done through our College website.
- Students are advised to take their studies seriously while at home by studying, keeping their notes updated and making good use of the academic materials that would be provided weekly. The College recognizes the important role of parents in guiding their children to academic excellence and kindly implore them to help ensure their children do not cease to study even while at home.
- In St Gregory’s College, our priority is not just the academic success of our students but their holistic well-being and that of those associated with them. So, we would like to inform you of the precautionary measures necessary to stay safe:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap for at least 20 seconds.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizers after contacts with others/objects that are exposed.
- Constantly check your temperature.
- Practice social distancing.
- Constantly use disinfectants.
- Avoid touching your face with your hands.
- Practice respiratory hygiene by covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- If you have fever, cough and difficulty in breathing, seek medical attention immediately.
- Keep a clean environment always.
- Avoid handshakes.
- Use the NCDC Toll-Free Numbers in cases of emergency: 080097000010
SMS: 08099555577/ WhatsApp: 07087110839/ Mobile: 07036708970
- Continue to follow basic preventive measures recommended by WHO.
- We implore everyone to beseech the heavens for our world, praying for God’s healing hands on the sick and for divine protection on everyone.
WHAT MORE CAN WE DO?
- As we go through this trying time, let us remain positive and prayerful. We pray for God’s wisdom and guidance for medical scientists and experts all over the world for breakthrough in vaccine and treatment.
- As reflected above, humanity has been faced with pandemics in history and have survived with the help of God. This shall also pass away.
- Let us heed the injuctions from health experts and stay safe.
- God will see us through the Coronavirus Pandemic. Amen.
Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Ayeni